2016 Aldershot Community Honour Roll Winners!
The judging committee received many nominations to review this year. Thank you, all!
The following four people have been chosen as 2016’s Aldershot Community Honour Roll winners. They have all demonstrated leadership, vision and creativity in their contributions to our Aldershot community.
- Catherine Brady
- Active member and Past President of Rotary Club of Burlington Central
- Served on Art Gallery of Burlington Governing Board and Past President of AGB Foundation Board
- Past Cabinet Member, Hamilton – Burlington United Way
- Started “Dream Girls”, a women’s group providing anonymous financial support to individuals/groups in need in Aldershot and Burlington
- Member of Burlington Community Foundation (BCF) Board of Directors
- Fund raiser for BCF Flood Relief initiative
- John Creary
- Over ten years of volunteerism as coach, referee and mentor with the Burlington Youth Soccer Club and Burlington Lions Optimist Hockey Association
- 3rd Aldershot Group, Beavers/Cubs leader, secretary and fundraising coordinator for ten years
- Sunday school teacher and now youth group leader at St. Matthew’s Church for eight years
- Youth sports instructor with Sports4You for three years
- Participant/involvement with Aldershot’s Youth Kitchen (for Grade 7 and 8 students) for three years
- Recent involvement and support of the Aldershot Seat Yourself initiative
- Joanna Baumgartner
- Over an 18 year period, fostered over 50 babies who were affected by drugs or alcohol
- Part-time fostering with some of the children and/or families of the babies as additional support/mentor once the children have left her care
- Set up a non-profit mission to Haiti at her personal expense to offer help with food, medicine and education
- During the past five years, helped to develop six schools, provided water purification systems and set up basic health clinics in the city of Ouanaminthe, Haiti
- Recipient of the 2016 Diocesan Medal of Honour which recognizes outstanding individuals who work to build up the local church through volunteer work
4 Sophie Look-Achoy – Youth Award winner
- Volunteered at Holy Rosary as an altar server, lector, and piano teacher who organized annual Christmas concerts.
- Played flute on a monthly basis at Hampton Terrace Nursing Home
- Was a Youth Ambassador for Burlington Transit at her school
- During university, she went on medical mission trips both to Jamaica and El Salvador
- Volunteered many hours at Aldershot’s HUB location as a piano teacher
The celebration is taking place on May 25 at Geraldo’s. Thank you to the sponsors, Weir’s winery and Geraldo’s at LaSalle for their generous support.
For tickets, please contact Lou at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-526-1501
Or visit the Alders hot Community Honour Roll website: www.achr.ca
FYI: You can put forth a nomination, and you can re-nominate someone, anytime now until next year, April 1, 2017. www.achr.ca